Saturday, May 2, 2020

Introduction

Hi! This is a new blog by Felix Enterprises where I am going to be sharing my design ideas for a collaborative super hero role playing game.

A few weeks ago my wife ran a one-shot game over google hangout with me and some friends using Demigods - Powered by the Apocalypse. It was a lot of fun and there were several aspects I liked about how the game went. We went super light on rules so my wife was able to walk us through creating characters quickly then get us all moving on the adventure quickly. Being super light on rules also allowed us to focus on the story telling aspect rather than trying to manage a battle map and needing to do use complicated math to calculate dice rolls.

Since we are all sheltering in place during the NYS Pause hiding from SARS-COV-2 (the virus) and Covid-19 (the disease caused by the virus) I do get out about once a day to walk my dog around the neighborhood. On these walks I've been listening to Greater than Games podcast where they talk about their Sentinels of the Multiverse games (there's a card game, a tactics game, and a role playing game). I love super heroes... No, I don't have action figures all over my house. No, I didn't spend my youth reading graphic novels. But I have watched a lot of super hero movies, even Catwoman (Not as bad as I was expecting but I still don't recommend it).

Anyway, Sentinels of the Multiverse is an awesome game. I highly recommend it. 

It was during one of these walks I thought it might be fun to create a super hero role playing system that would similarly work well over an internet voice chat. I haven't read all the rules to Powered by Apocalypse yet but I kind of want to lean that way. My goals are:

Focus on:
* shared story telling
* being a "yes, and" type of system
* allow players extreme flexibility in designing their characters
* keeping character generation simple
* allow characters to have weaknesses that provide story telling without crippling them

Secondary characteristics of:
* include dice rolling mechanics
* collaborative world building
* character progression mechanics

Avoiding:
* anything fiddly that slows down game play
* battle map needs or the evening long battles


This blog is going to be notes and ideas as I go about designing the system. I'm hoping to use an Agile/Lean development approach to the game system. Basically I want to throw some ideas together, get some players, and run a game. Take the things I learn from the game and the feedback from the players and adapt the system and the rules until it is what I want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment